Apply: OSINT Research and Presentation [due Day 7]
- Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) methodology refers to the practice of using publicly available tools or techniques to discover information on a person or other entity, such as a company. In the realm of cybersecurity, OSINT research is often used to seek out system weaknesses and harden them before they are exploited.
Read more about OSINT in this article, An Introduction to Open Source Intelligence (OSINT). In addition, research some of the OSINT tools available to penetration testers before starting this assignment.
You have been contracted by a well-known company to help implement OSINT tools and techniques. You will conduct research, write white papers and a research report, and present your findings in this assignment.
Select and research a well-known company.
Select 3 OSINT tools or techniques discussed in the articles. Choose 1 tool or technique from each of the 3 areas:
- OSINT through World Wide Web
- OSINT through website analysis
- OSINT through DNS interrogations
- Research your chosen OSINT tools or techniques.
Write a 1- to 2-page white paper for each OSINT tool or technique that describes the tool or technique, how that tool or technique is used, what it is used for, and the pros and cons of each tool or technique.
Write a 1- to 2-page OSINT research report on the chosen company, which summarizes the information that was collected, how and why that information could be valuable as part of a penetration test, and recommendations for how the company should implement the OSINT tools and techniques.
Combine your 3 white papers and the OSINT research report in 1 document.
Submit your assignment.