Intervention (covers material learned in weeks 8 to 15): This role play is your opportunity to demonstrate emerging skills in choosing and enacting an appropriate evidence-based intervention with your client. You will select a therapy approach reviewed during this semester (CBT (1st wave, 2nd wave, or 3rd wave), Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy etc.) and implement and intervention or technique that demonstrate the therapy approach. You will include a brief, written discussion (no more than 1 page double-spaced) of your rationale for the intervention/ technique chosen. Please submit this reflection as a Word Document.
Cooper, M.G., & Lesser, J.G. (2022). Clinical Social Work Practice: An Integrated Approach 6th edition.
Boston, MA: Pearson. ISBN-13: 9780135816929
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Substance Abuse Treatment for Persons With Co-Occurring Disorders. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 42. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 133992. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2005. — Chapter 4, Assessment (pages 65 to 71) https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED491572.pdf
- Chapter 6, Chapter 7, and Chapter 8 of Textbook
- Shedler J. (2012) The Efficacy of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. In: Levy R., Ablon J., Kächele H. (eds) Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Research. Current Clinical Psychiatry. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ. http://ezproxy.smumn.edu.xxproxy.smumn.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmedm&AN=20141265&site=eds-live
- Case Study
- Chapter 9 Textbook
- Barnes, Maria, Sofie Sherlock, Laura Thomas, David Kessler, Willem Kuyken, Amanda Owen‐Smith, Glyn Lewis, Nicola Wiles, and Katrina Turner. “No Pain, No Gain: Depressed Clients’ Experiences of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.” British Journal of Clinical Psychology 52.4 (2013): 347-64. Web. https://bit.ly/3Hcngo0 (Links to an external site.).
- Heapy, A.A., Stroud, M.W., Higgins, D.M., & Sellinger, J.J. (2006). Tailoring cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic pain: A case example. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In session, 62(11), 1345-1354. https://bit.ly/3KRZj7z
- Renaud, J., Russell, J., & Myhr, G. (2014). Predicting who benefits most from cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety and depression. Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 70(10), 924-932. https://bit.ly/32L5uJu
- Textbook Chapter 10
- Burckell, L.A. & McMain, S. (2011). Contrasting clients in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy for borderline personality disorder: Marie and Dean, two cases with different alliance trajectories and outcomes. Pragmatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy, 7, 246-267. Contrasting Clients in Dialectical
- Chapter 14
- Harrington, N. & Pickles, C. (2009). Mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy: Are they compatible concepts? Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 23(4), 315-323. https://bit.ly/3ucdgHI
- Chapter 11 Textbook, Chapter 14
- Combs, Gene, & Freedman, Jill. (2012). Narrative, Poststructuralism, and Social Justice: Current Practices in Narrative Therapy. Counseling Psychologist, 40(7), 1033-1060. Narrative, poststructualism, and social justice.pdfctions
- Combs, G., & Freedman, J. (2016). Narrative Therapy’s Relational Understanding of Identity. Family Process., 55(2), 211-224. Narrative Therapys Relational Understanding of Identity.pdf
- Chapter 12 Textbook
- Gingerich, W. (2013). Effectiveness of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: A Systematic Qualitative Review of Controlled Outcome Studies. Research on Social Work Practice, 23(3), 295-283. Effectiveness of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy.pdf
- Kim, J., Smock, S., Trepper, T., McCollum, E., & Franklin, C. (2010). Is Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Evidence-Based? Families in Society, 91(3), 300-306.Is Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Evidence-Based.pdf
- Chapter 13 textbook
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. SAMHSA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4884. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014. (27 pages) SAMHSAConceptofTrauma.pdf