Research and discuss the philosophy and methods of antibiotic selection and stewardship. Select and address one of the focus areas below. Support your answer with two or three peer-reviewed resources.
- Discuss antibiotic stewardship and the role you play in this as a nurse practitioner.
- Discuss antibiotic resistance.
- Discuss what resources are available for antibiotic selection.
- Explain how to obtain and interpret microbiology cultures/sensitivities.
- Explain antibiograms.
- Discuss when is it appropriate to withhold antibiotics until a pathogen can be identified versus when you must initiate empiric antibiotic therapy while the pathogen is still being identified.
- Explain what is meant by local or geographic antibiotic resistance.
- Explain when it is appropriate to consult an infectious disease specialist.