Certain populations have different treatment needs. Female offenders and offenders with mental health disorders are two such populations, although they are by no means the only two populations with special considerations. A growing body of research suggests that specific treatment programs have been effective for these two respective populations. Such programs take into account culture, age, gender, criminal offense, and other factors and bring together resources from many professional fields to provide a coordinated effort.
For this Assessment, you will assume the role of a criminal justice practitioner (law enforcement, courts, or corrections) who must make a recommendation about an evidence-based program for either female offenders or offenders with mental health disorders that is relevant to your field of interest. You will present your recommendation in the form of a presentation.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
Your response to this Assessment should:
- Reflect the criteria provided in the Rubric.
- Adhere to the required assignment length.
- Insert audio into your PowerPoint Presentation or you may follow the Video/Audio Instructions.
This Assessment requires submission of one file, a completed presentation. Save this file as SL003_ firstinitial_lastname (for example, SL003_J_Smith).
When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
- Select either female offenders or offenders with mental health disorders for this assessment.
- Research the historical context for treatment of your selected population as well as their special needs.
- Review the literature on treatment programs intended for your population. Select a program that has empirical support for its effectiveness. Your selected program should be relevant to treatment of the population in your particular field of interest (police, courts, or corrections).
Develop a 4- to 6-minute presentation, in which you address the following:
- Part I: Provide historical context for the treatment of and outcomes for your selected population in the criminal justice system.
- Part II: Describe the special needs of this population related to their treatment in your selected field of interest in the criminal justice system.
- Part III: Identify the program you selected. Provide an overview of the program, including what services are provided and how the needs of the population are addressed.
- Part IV: Provide empirical support that demonstrates the program’s effectiveness. Cite at least two research studies that have tested the outcomes of the program.
Be sure to include notes that you would use to deliver your presentation.