In this module, you will explore the concept of treatment for psychological disorders. You’ll consider how treatment approaches differ based on the psychological disorder.
For your initial post, read Chapter 1 of Evidence-Based Prevention. Then read each scenario below and determine which approach would best serve this client and why.
Note: Unlike for the other discussions in this course, you must first start a thread and complete your initial post in order to read and reply to your peers’ posts.
- Jayden, a 5-year-old boy, is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). His treatment provider is trying to help him increase eye contact with others.
- Trina, a 50-year-old woman, is diagnosed with bipolar I disorder. Her treatment provider is trying to help stabilize her mood.
- Desmond, a 22-year-old college student, is diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The treatment provider is trying to help decrease Desmond’s overall level of worry.
- How does the concept of treatment for psychological disorders apply to any of the following programmatic themes? You may want to review the Programmatic Themes document.
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Engage in conversation with your peers around different treatments for specific psychological disorders.
- Consider asking a question or sharing your personal experience.