1. What is an artificial neural network and for what types of problems can it be used?
2. Compare artificial and biological neural networks. What aspects of biological networks are not mimicked by artificial ones? What aspects are similar?
3. What are the most common ANN architectures? For what types of problems can they be used?
4. ANN can be used for both supervised and unsupervised learning. Explain how they learn in a supervised mode and in an unsupervised mode.
Go to Google Scholar (scholar.google.com). Conduct a search to find two papers written in the last five years that compare and contrast multiple machine-learning methods for a given problem domain. Observe commonalities and differences among their findings and prepare a report to summarize your understanding.
7. Go to neuroshell.com. Look at Gee Whiz examples. Comment on the feasibility of achieving the results claimed by the developers of this neural network model.
(go to neuroshell.com click on the examples and look at the current examples listed, the Gee Whiz example is no longer on the page).