Now that you have observed in an infant classroom, you are going to share some of your thoughts and reflections on what you have learned in both Modules 2 and 3 about the Five R’s and about observation and assessment. You must maintain confidentiality at all times. You will NOT divulge the name of the center/program in which you observed. These are your thoughts on what you have learned from your observation.
For each of your responses to the prompts that follow, you will need to be specific about what you observed, giving examples while ensuring the confidentiality of the teachers and children.What you share here must be objective in nature. This will give you practice in writing objective statements of your observations in these classrooms. Respond to the following questions in your initial post:
- In what ways did you see relationship-building occur between infants and teachers?
- How did the environment support learning?
- How did the infants access the materials and toys?
- What kinds of conversation did you hear, and between whom? (teacher/child, teacher/teacher, teacher/parent)
You will post a second response that will be more reflective in nature.
Respond to the following questions:
- What did you learn about caring for infants? (This will be your opinion and can be more subjective in nature.)
- Did you see evidence of teacher observation and assessment of the children during your observation? If so, how and what did the teacher do to document children’s learning?
- One of your reading assignments was to read NAEYC’s position statement on Developmentally Appropriate Practice. Based on your reading, what aspects of DAP did you see during your observation of the infant classroom? Provide at least 3 examples of DAP or developmentally inappropriate practices from your observation. Your examples should be written objectively. Once you provide your examples, explain why each one is or is not developmentally appropriate.