1) What is concerted cultivation? How is it related to social class and parenting? Please offer one benefit and one drawback from this particular parenting style.
2) What is accomplishment of natural growth? How is it related to social class and parenting? Please offer one benefit and one drawback from this particular parenting style.
3) What is the relationship between sex and gender? How are they similar? How are they different? Give an example of how each concept plays – or has played out – within families.
4)In 4-5 sentences, briefly describe the Moynihan Report. What were some if its major findings? What were some of the criticisms it engendered? Why was it controversial? Please use specific examples.
5) Identify two major social trends in the historical development of the American family. Specifically, describe and discuss two major developments that resulted from the rise of industrial capitalism and the spread of democracy
6) Compare the historical scientific attitude regarding homosexuality with our current understanding. Please describe an example of how sexual orientation has intersected with the family in the last 50 years.
7) In her qualitative study, Borders of Belonging: Struggle and Solidarity in Mixed-Status Immigrant Families, anthropologist Heidi Castañeda examines the intersection of race, immigration, and families. In 8-12 sentences, you have to summarize (parts of the book) and connect its thematic content to the course material.
In the first part of your response, summarize the book (or selected chapters 2, 5, and 7). What is the main argument put forth in this reading (or these chapters)? How does Castañeda go about conducting this study? What were her findings? What were some of the key themes he explored in the selected chapters? What were the primary conclusions?
In the second part of your response, you must discuss how this reading connects to the material we have covered so far in class. In fact, you have to make connections with two different topics and/or themes. So, whether making connections to history, race, gender, social class, parenting, poverty, etc., (it truly is up to you), explain how Castañeda’s study utilizes and/or exemplifies some of the concepts that we’ve covered in lecture.
QUESTIONS 1-3, 5-6 CAN BE ANSWERED IN 2-4 SENTENCES AND QUESTIONS 4 AND 7 NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED IN THE AMOUNT OF SENTENCES STATED