All special educators who teach secondary students will be required to create transition plans that are meaningful and appropriate for the student. Transition plans go one step further than the IEP by adding specific goals and services that will help the student be successful after graduation in future education and training, in the community, and/or in the work force. Being able to write an effective transition plan is a legal requirement for high school special education teachers.
Create a 10-15 slide digital presentation for school faculty and staff that explains the components and legal requirements of transition planning under IDEA.
Address the following within your presentation:
- Describe each of the required components of a transition plan according to IDEA.
- Complete a transition plan for Alex using the data provided in the “Case Scenario: Alex,” sharing each transition plan component as an example.
- Describe 2-3 strategies that promote successful transitions for students with disabilities.
- Identify 2-3 collaboration strategies that are useful when working with students, families, and IEP teams to create transition plans for students with disabilities.
- Include a title slide, reference slide, and presenter notes.
The digital presentation should include graphics that are relevant to the content, visually appealing, and use space appropriately.
Support your findings with 3-5 scholarly resources.