1. Select a topic in policing. Examples: stop and frisk, search warrant, broken window theory, women in police, police stress on job, police discretion, police training, public views on police etc.
2. Decide on 5-10 key terms that you will use in your search. YOU HAVE TO MENTION 5-10 relevant key terms for library search in the paper
3. Use the link from the John Jay website to the library website. Next, go to the databases. Search database: Criminal Justice Abstracts. Limit the articles’ search to recent years: 2010 – 2020 and to peer-reviewed journals only.
4. From a larger group of selected articles, based on the titles and abstracts, choose 5.
5. Make sure that at least TWO articles come from the top criminology/criminal justice journals:
Criminology, Criminology and Public Policy, Women in Criminal Justice, Prison Journal, Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, Justice Quarterly, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, Journal of Criminal Justice, International Journal of Criminal Justice, Criminal Justice Journal, Feminist Criminology, Police Quarterly, Policing and Society, Policing: Policy and Practice, Policing: An International Journal, Criminal Justice and Behavior, Contemporary Sociology, The British Journal of Criminology, Crime and Delinquency, Punishment and Society, Theoretical Criminology.
6. You can also search a specific journal (see above) by selecting it in the library search and reviewing what was published on your topic in the recent years. It is more time consuming but an interesting search. In addition, you might need to do search through the individual journal to be able to locate relevant articles.
7. Read the articles and then choose ONE that the best represents your topic.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
Turn in no more than 1 page long paper (with list of 5 scholarly articles in APA and a summary of one article). Specifically:
1. Provide the title or the topic
2. Provide key terms that you used
3. List 5 scholarly articles that you selected and follow APA style! (Deductions will apply if you do not follow APA). There is a link on the library website to the APA.
And this is an example:
Celinska, K., & H.Sung (2014). Gender differences in the determinants of prison rule violations. The Prison Journal 94, 2, 220-241.
4. Summarize in two paragraphs the article that you selected from the 5 journals you used.