Throughout this week, you read about managed care and third-party payers, the basic components of insurance.
Up until recent years the only options for the uninsured, if they qualified for it, were Medicare and Medicaid. With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the landscape of insurance is changing.
For this week’s written assignment, read the following article:
Hamel, M.B., Blumenthal, D., Abrams, M., & Nuzum, R. (2015)
The New England Journal of Medicine, 372, 2451-2458. Retrieved from
After reading the article, answer the following questions:
- What are your initial thoughts from the article?
- How do you think the Affordable Care Act improves health care for Americans?
- Who do you think will benefit the most from the Affordable Care Act? Why?
- Why are some states slower to participate than others?
- If you could create a healthcare plan for the United States, what would it include, who would be covered?
Review the Institute of Medicine’s 2010 report “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.” Write a 750-1,000 word paper discussing the influence of the IOM report on nursing practice. Include the following:
- Summarize the four messages outlined in the IOM report and explain why these are significant to nursing practice.
- Discuss the direct influence the IOM report has on nursing education and nursing leadership. Describe the benefits and opportunities for BSN-prepared nurses.
- Explain why it is important that a nurse’s role and education evolve to meet the needs of an aging and increasingly diverse population.
- Discuss the significance of professional development, or lifelong learning, and its relevance in caring for diverse populations across the life span and within the health-illness continuum.
- Discuss how nurses can assist in effectively managing patient care within an evolving health care system.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.