In Unit 1, your project asks you to consider how different texts enter into conversations with each other about a single social issue. This assignment is an opportunity for you to examine how social media can help affect change.
For this discussion, you will select one blog from “The World’s 50 Most Powerful Blogs (Links to an external site.).” After selecting one of these blogs, read the overview about the blog included on this website. Then, visit the blog and look around so that you can post a reply to this discussion board that addresses the following prompt.
- What is the name of the blog you’ve chosen? What is the website where we can access the blog?
- What is the main purpose/message of this blog? How do you know? (Is it explicitly stated in a mission statement, for example? Or is it implied?)
- Who is the intended audience of the blog? How do you know?
- Who is the author of the blog? Is the author a person, group, or organization? What can you find out about this author? For instance, do they have particular education, expertise, or experiences? Do they link to their other social media profiles?
- How does the above information make them more or less credible to write this particular blog?
- What appears to be the author’s purpose for writing this blog? For example, are they selling a product? Advocating for a specific cause? Receiving payment for expressing particular views? Initiating a call to action?
- Based on what you’ve discovered about the author, what biases might they have? How could this impact the perspectives they share and also those they choose to ignore? The information they post? The sources they use/don’t use?
- Consider that this blog is included on a list of powerful blogs. Based on your analysis of this blog, do you think that this blog illustrates an ethical or unethical use of power? Explain.