Community Windshield Survey Guidelines
The purpose of this assignment is to complete a direct observational assessment of a community in your area. This windshield survey will help you to identify a vulnerable population, an important community health problem, and a related Healthy People 2020 objective for a community in your area.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
- CO2: Assess the health needs of individuals, families, aggregates, and communities using demographic and epidemiological data to identify population health risks. (PO4)
- CO6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO2)
- Download the Community Windshield Survey (Links to an external site.) form. You will type answers directly onto this Word document. Your form does not need to follow APA formatting; however, you are expected to use a professional writing style with complete sentences, accurate grammar, and correct spelling within the fill-in sections. References are not needed as this should be based on your observations.
- You are required to use the linked form provided for this assignment. Assignments that do not follow the current guidelines or use the required form will be evaluated for evidence of an academic integrity violation.
- After the due date, there will be no opportunity for revision or resubmission of assignments that have been uploaded to the submission area. It is your responsibility to submit the correct assignment to the correct submission area.
- Watch the Windshield Survey tutorial found at the end of the Academic Integrity Reminder.
- Save the file by clicking Save As and adding your last name to the file name; for example, NR443 Windshield Survey Form_Smith.
- Submit the completed form by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 2.
Below are the requirements needed for successful completion of the Windshield Survey Form.
- Introduction to the Community: Identify the community you will be using for this assignment with the city and state, and provide a brief, one-paragraph description of the community. Your community should be the area where you live or the area surrounding your work setting. The community must include a residential area and be a large enough area to answer the survey questions. Do not include epidemiological or demographic data as this is based on what you observe.
- Windshield Survey: Assess your community by doing a windshield survey. Information about the components of a windshield survey is located in your textbook, Nies and McEwen (2019). Drive through the area and report your observations by answering the questions on the form. Be sure to include what you observed related to each of these categories, and also include any significant items that are missing in your community because this may be equally important in identifying a community health problem.
- Community vitality
- Indicators of social and economic conditions
- Health resources
- Environmental conditions related to health
- Social functioning
- Attitude toward healthcare
- Note: It is helpful to conduct this assessment at least two different times: during the day or evening, on a weekday, and/or on the weekend. If possible, plan on asking someone to drive during your survey so that you can take notes.
- Vulnerable population: Identify the aggregate or vulnerable populations that you observed in your community during your drive through. What did you observe about this population?
- Community problem: Based on your assessment in the survey above, identify and discuss one priority community health problem that a community health nurse could positively impact.Example: If you observed teens who were pregnant or had young children during your survey and felt this was a priority problem in your community, the diagnosis could be
Risk of unintended pregnancy among adolescent girls in XXXX community as evidence by observation of pregnant teens and teens caring for young children during windshield survey.
- Healthy People 2020 Objective: Go to the Healthy People topic areas at https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives. Find a topic area that relates to one of the vulnerable populations you observed. Click on the topic area, and then click on the green Objectives tab. Review the objectives within that topic area to complete the relevant sections of the form. State the Healthy People 2020 objective number (not just a goal) that describes your problem.Example: The topic area Family Planning would be relevant. You would click on Family Planning, and then click the green Objectives tab, and you might choose
FP-8.1 “Reduce pregnancies among adolescent females aged 15 to 17 years” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Healthy People 2020, 2018, Objectives: Family Planning, para 8).
- Summary: Complete the summary of learning section.
- References: The purpose of this assignment is to document your observations of your community. Outside sources other than Healthy People 2020 should not be used. We have included this reference on the Windshield Survey form for you.
Best Practices in Completing the Form
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
- Make sure all elements of the form are included.
- Review directions and grading rubric thoroughly.
- Use a professional writing style with complete sentences in the fill-in sections.
- Check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Abide by the Chamberlain academic integrity policy.
Week 2 Assignment Tutorial
Hello, this will be a brief tutorial of the first assignment. The first assignment is due Sunday of week two no later than 11:59 PM Mountain Time. This Community Windshield Survey will give you an opportunity to look at your community several times so that you can observe an area from the perspective of a community health nurse.
You will have someone drive you around so that you can write down your observations. You can choose to focus on the community in which you live or work, but be sure it includes a residential area. If you are doing a practicum, you may also choose that area if it is somewhere different.
If you live in a small town, you will be able to include the entire town in the survey. For those in larger cities, choose a section of the city to explore. Be sure the area you choose is large enough to include resources that people living in this area would typically use.
You can include observations on parking lots, grocery stores, restaurants, as well. Carefully review the community windshield guidelines located in the week two module. You can see this on your screen now. These are the road map and should be followed step by step. Be sure to visit the week two online lesson and watch a mock windshield survey that we created in Second Life.
This can help you see what the experts see to give you some idea about what is expected. Next, read the questions about 6.2 in your [UNKNOWN] text titled questions to guide a community health nurse observations during a windshield survey. The windshield survey questions in the text will guide your observations of the six key elements.
Community vitality, indicators of social and economic conditions, health resources, environmental conditions related to health, social functioning, and attitude towards healthcare. [BLANK_AUDIO] You’ll be completing this assignment on the template provided, you can see the link here on your screen now. It is recommended that you download or have the community windshield survey template nearby when completing your assessment.
This template provides the areas you will want to look for. You will also be identifying a vulnerable population in your community during your drive-through. What did you observe about this population? Then based on your assessment and the survey above, identify and discuss one priority community health problem that a community health nurse could positively impact.
For example, if she observed teens who are pregnant or had young children during the survey, and thought it was a priority problem in the community. The diagnosis could be risk of unintended pregnancy among adolescent girls in your community as evidenced by observation of pregnant teens caring for young children during the windshield survey.
The next step will be to link a Healthy People 2020 objective. [BLANK_AUDIO] Go to the Healthy People topic areas. Find a topic that relates to one of the vulnerable populations you observed. Then click the topic area and then choose the green Objectives tab. [BLANK_AUDIO] Review the objectives within that topic area and complete the relevant sections on the form.
State the Healthy People 2020 objective number, not just the goal, that describes your problem. For example, the topic area family planning would be relevant. So you would click on family planning, then click the green Objectives tabs, and then you may scroll down and choose FP-8.1. Reduce pregnancies among adolescents and females aged 15 to 17 years.
[BLANK_AUDIO] The final component will be to complete the summary of learning section. And remember, the purpose of this assignment is to document your observations of your community. Outside sources other than Healthy People 2020 should not be used. We have included this reference on the windshield survey form for you.
[BLANK_AUDIO] Again, review your typing for correct grammar and spelling. Look for wavy lines under words or phrases and right-click to see the suggestions for correction. Compare your paper to the A column of the grading rubric that you are seeing on your screen righ
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"